Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Naturally Urban Farm in Bellflower, CA

I had the pleasure of meeting Shannon and Eric Schermerhorn at their home yesterday. They, along with their seven children and Jay (helper on the "farm") have a large organic garden and raise chickens right here in my town. 

They call their city farm "Naturally Urban". Be sure to visit: Www.naturallyurban.blogspot.com
I enjoyed visiting with them and learning about gardening. The interview will be posted on my YouTube channel: NotaFarmGirl. 
              Shannon and I

Here are some take-aways that I learned during our chats between takes. 
*keep your ground covered by mulch or foliage. Exposed ground loses both moisture and soil. 
*walking barefoot while you garden allows you to feel what's going on in the soil. 
*blackberries and raspberries like to grow downhill. 
*if you live in the country, keep a couple extra chickens for their predators. It's natural, unless they're eating more than their fair share. As Jay says, "Everyone's got to eat."
Me with Jay and either Fluffy or Puffy. (They're sister chickens that look alike.)

Shannon also highly recommends this book:
She said, "When they say 'Five Minutes a Day' they actually mean ONLY five minutes a day." She gave me a loaf and it was super yummy! I've already ordered my own copy. 

I am amazed every day by how willing people are to share their knowledge and expertise. I am thankful for friends old and new as I journey from the city to the farm. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I've made a couple of those 5-minute breads and they are really good.

    We keep our chickens in "tractors" to provide some safety; the system has pros and cons. A friend tells me that guineas are very good at keeping themselves out of trouble (and foraging). She also said that as long as they had goats, nothing bothered her chickens. IMO, it may be "natural" for predators to eat chickens, but I don't live in nature, I live on a farm: those chickens are for MY food, and the owls can eat wild things like mice! But everybody has to find their own balance.
    -Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whether I will keep extra chickens for predators, but it was an interesting thought.

      My bread book should be arriving tomorrow!! yay!!

      Delete
  2. I may have to buy this book although I do have a 5 min. artisan bread recipe that I am wondering if it is the same one as in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basic recipe is only four ingredients: Water, yeast, flour, salt.

      Delete