Monday, December 15, 2014

Swinging In the Fall

Carter loves to swing and she loves her Grandpa. She gave me permission to post this paragraph she wrote for an English assignment recently.


"Swinging In the Fall" 
by Carter 
In the fall, my grandfather and I go out and I clamber into the old tire. He asks me how I like to be pushed and I explain, but before he pushes me he forgets. He pulls me back further and further; the excitement flows through me mixing with fear. Then it comes, he lets go, and I am sent flying past the trees. The brisk air hits me along with the smell of grass and apple pie. I cannot help a smile breaking out upon my face. I reach out with my legs and kick up a big pile of crunchy orange and red leavesI hold onto the rough rope tightly as I swing backwards. I start to slow down, and I feel a little sad and disappointed because I know that the fun is coming to an end. I turn back to say, "Thank you for pushing me," to my grandfather. He looks at me and asks, “Don’t you want to go again?” in his deep comforting voice. I hastily reply yes and he pulls me back. Then I'm off again, brown hair streaming back behind me.

4 comments:

  1. Love the post and picture. It would be interesting to address this from the perspective of all family members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evan!
      Not everyone in my family is as comfortable expressing with words as Carter and I. But I will certainly post anything that is written, and which the author permits.

      Delete